Menu

Suburb Profiles

Acacia Gardens

Acacia Gardens is one of the newer suburbs of Blacktown City, with its boundaries first being assigned by the Geographical Names Board in October 1996. It was formerly part of the suburb of Quakers Hill and was a mainly agricultural area with market gardening and diary farming being the main land uses. The name 'Acacia Gardens' was chosen to indicate the rural quality of the area.
View Full Profile
Acacia Gardens

Glenwood

This suburb is part of the North-West sector development and the boundaries for Glenwood were first assigned by the Geographical Names Board of NSW in October 1996. Prior to housing development the area was largerly rural with dairying and market gardening the main land uses. The name of the suburb comes from Glenwood Park house. This property has been owned by many families, and has had...
View Full Profile
Glenwood

Kings Langley

Early settler Matthew Pearce (1762—1831) called his 130-acre (53 ha) grant after King's Langley Manor House in Hertfordshire, England, where he was born. Pearce's grant was situated on the opposite side of the Windsor Road to the present day suburb of Kings Langley. One hundred years later the orchards and farm were replaced by the Kings Langley Housing Estate. It provided 1800 homesites on...
View Full Profile
Kings Langley

Kings Park

The name Kings Park was first used for the area in the mid 1980s, with the present boundaries being assigned by the geographical Names Board of NSW in January 1987. Prior to this, the area was part of Marayong. With land releases in the 1980s, the development began to be adversied as 'Kings Park', and real estate agents began using the term for the area. It is assumed that the proximity of...
View Full Profile
Kings Park

Lalor Park

Named after the Lalor family, who owned property in the area. Two members of the family (George and Robert) were Councillors on Blacktown Shire Council, George serving as Shire President on two occasions, 1921-1923 and 1928.
View Full Profile
Lalor Park

Marayong

In 1802 the government declared most of the area we know as Blacktown to be a farm and grazing area. It was not until 1819 that land around today’s Marayong was given to private citizens — some of their names are Charles Stuart, Frederick Garling, William Shedworth, Thomas Blackett, William Bland and Major West. The next development was in 1864 when the railway line from Blacktown to...
View Full Profile
Marayong

Parklea

The name dates from the 1980s when the property known as Parklea was subdivided. It had developed into a small village by the 1920s. Where the actual name comes from is unknown.
View Full Profile
Parklea

Quakers Hill

What is now known as Quakers Hill consisted in the 1800s of four major land grants: 2,000 acres to Major West (1814); 400 acres to William Henry Allcock (1815); 695 acres to Joseph Pye (1816) and the estate of Robert Campbell. The railway line was extended from Blacktown to Richmond in 1863, passing through the Pye property. A siding (Douglas' siding) allowed for the loading of timber from the...
View Full Profile
Quakers Hill

Riverstone

Riverstone is located 48 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the Blacktown local government area; part of the Greater Western Sydney region. Originally settled in 1803 as part of a government stock farm, Riverstone is one of the oldest towns in Australia
View Full Profile
Riverstone

Schofields

The name Schofields comes from John Schofields (1803-1884) who was a convict from Manchester who arrived on the Minerva in December 1821. He married Bridget Harley daughter of an immigrant farmer of Baulkham Hills at St John's, Parramatta in 1829. He acquired 600 acres east of Eastern Creek in present-day Schofields in 1845. Schofields Railway Station opened in 1870.
View Full Profile
Schofields

Stanhope Gardens

John Hillas (1768-1837) arrived in Australia in 1801 and received two land grants on the Windsor Road. One of these he named 'Stanhope Farm', and established an inn, the "Stanhope Arms". Part of the name remained, with the Peel family calling their dairy farm "Stanhope Park". The suburb name reflects these early properties. It was formally recognised as a suburb in 1996.
View Full Profile
Stanhope Gardens

The Ponds

'The Ponds' was a name designed to reflect the geography of the area and was derived from the nearby creek called "Second Ponds Creek". The Ponds was officially designated as a separate suburb in January 2007. The Ponds had previously been part of the suburbs of Kellyville and Kellyville Ridge
View Full Profile
The Ponds

© 2016 Australian Real Estate |  Admin Login |  Designed by Obii.Mobi | 
Website by coreweb